Monday, October 12, 2015

OCTOBER ORCHARD
























WHEN THE BELLS SING ON THE BACK PATIO I REMEMBER



How I was there the day Helga married you
yes, she married you, because you asked

I remember afterward the bells hanging
from threads, the threads themselves left
hanging, blew in the breeze.  They formed
a breezeway, a threshold crossing into an
old orchard, the pass through we all
passed through to gather
awaiting one important thread about to knot―
not left hanging, because she said yes

I had gone that day to the swap meet
I found my own set of bells
they too hang above now in threads
dangling just off my patio

as time goes by, threads have broken
bells have cracked and accumulate
on the ground in a basket below where
they once hung but more still hang
in the upper breezeway tiding through
windy weather just how well tied
some gatherings & knots truly are.

©2015 October Orchard Song stephaniepope mythopoetry.com